Twice I’ve encountered Google’s attempts to keep me from accessing some apps for my phone. In both cases, the apps I wanted were restricted to the U.S. market. In both cases, I had to look up how to fix the problem. So, here’s the simplest solution I found:
- Disable all location services on the device
- Turn off the device and swap a compatible SIM for one from correct region
- Turn on the device, connect to the store via WiFi and download the app
- Turn off the device, swap original SIM back in
- Turn on the device, reenable location services
There are some limitations when using this method. First, you obviously need a SIM from the correct region/market. Second, the restricted app won’t update unless you swap a compatible SIM back into the device.